Saturday, October 24, 2009

Review: Paranormal Activity


So I finally had a chance to see this the other night and I have to say, it was worth the $9.50. For those of you who are unaware, Paranormal Activity just got a wide release a week ago after being shuffled around in limited release hell for a long time. I could go on at length about the marketing of the film. I could comment about how for once a major studio did the right thing and put out a little movie that isn't a remake or a CGI shit fiesta. I could also talk about how for the first time ever I saw an audience actually scared by a horror film in a theater. But I won't get into all of that.
I will say this howver, Paranormal Activity was directed by Oren Peli for about $11 and right now is the best horror movie to see this Halloween. Period. This is not a statement that I make lightly. In fact those of you who have seen it might disagree. That's fine. But you're wrong.

I will not give you any sort of plot synopsis. To do this would ruin it for people who haven't seen it and you need to go into the theater knowing as little about the actual plot as possible. Also, keep an open mind. I say this because I have heard an awful lot of talk about how this "just another Blair Witch" and somehow that makes it not worth seeing. First of all, yes Blair Witch was atrocious but it was groundbreaking for the time. Also, Blair Witch was not the first "found footage" style horror movie. Cannibal Holocaust was. Respect. Believe me when I tell you this is not the Blair Witch Project. The movie is a "found footage on shitty camera" film. The pacing is slow and uses a night and day cycle. That, however, is where the similarities end. Paranormal Activity does a great deal with very little. A camera, a house, two actors. Entire theater full of people screaming and yelling various things to the tune of "That shit is crazy".
I will warn you that this is not a fast paced movie. There are no flash cuts, and there is very little actual violence. If that's what you're expecting save your money or go waste it on another Saw sequel. If you want to be scared, and want to see the best ending in a horror movie in years, open your wallet and enjoy. Grade: 95%

That being said, since I'm just starting out I'd love feedback. Bitch, yell, tell me I'm an asshole. I don't care just comment bitches.

No comments: